"Come to the Lord, the living stone, rejected by men but approved, nonetheless, and precious in God's eyes. You too are living stones, built as an edifice of spirit, into a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ." (1 Peter 2: 4-6)
The land on which St. Joseph Church now stands was purchased from two neighbours, George and John Baker on August 23, 1894, each ceding a portion of his property. The cornerstone was laid and the church built in 1895. The pews were made in 1906 by Bill Ryan, brother of Father Frederick Ryan, the then parish priest. The same year, the bell was bought from the Meneely Company of West Troy, NY, and bears the following engraving: "The Immaculate ConceptionGodfather: Henri McQuade, Godmother: Mrs. L. McQuade" and the names of Joe Beaumaster, Owen Goodine, Isaac Sullivan, John Baker, and Lewis McQuade. The rectory, built in 1926, once stood on the church ground; in 1929, a sacristy was added on to the rear of the church. It is now incorporated to the Paul Baker house, next to the church.
The parish was ministered to by:
In 1921, the anglophone missions of southern Victoria County became the charge of the Franciscan Fathers. Among those who ministered at Tilley were:
Reference: Souvenir book commemorating the 50th anniversary of the foundation of the Diocese of Edmundston, published by the Madawaska Historical Society Revue (Vol. XXIII, Numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4), 1995.
Photos: Google, Jacques G. Albert, Contribution
Note: The Diocese of Edmundston is not responsible for the content of external links.